People with diabetes observe fast for many religious reasons. In Muslim and Buddhist patients the duration of fast is month-long duration while in Hindu patients it may vary as once in a week( Monday/Saturday), once in a month(Chaturthi) or once in a year like Navratri. Fasting can result in both harmful and good consequences depending upon the patient. Hence patients need to consult their diabetologist regarding fasting. Few generalized precautions 1 Day before fasting has more protein and low glycemic index carbohydrate.
1. Maintain hydration.
2. Modify the medicines as per the doctor's advice. This includes either reduction in the dose, skipping the medicine, or change in the timing of tablets/ insulin.
3. Have healthy choices like fruits, milk during fast.
4. Avoid Sweets, fried foods.
5. Avoid excessive exercise during fast.
6. Do check sugar levels during and after fast. If fasting results in very high or very low glucose levels then you will have to breakfast.